The force physicists call friction couldn’t stop us; the force physicists call gravitation couldn’t pull us down. In our thoughts, we were like poles, but never repelled one another.
I hate reading exciting books-only to find out that the last chapter has been torn out. This is the last chapter and I'm glad it's intact!
A writer of modern times once observed that “the greatest part of mankind employ their first years to make their last miserable.” But no, we employed our last year - our fifth year in the University to make it remarkable.
September 14, 2014 remains a day that won’t be forgotten in a hurry. It was the day we were crowned champions of the prestigious Klas ’14 Tournament.
That lone goal in the final was just enough to make the supposedly impossible possible.
I still remember vividly how the late Abidemi Adeagbo - an injured substitute and a striker I could comfortably rate above Arsenal’s Olivier Giroud - cut in from the left flank, drove into the 18-yard box and unleashed the strike that won us the tournament.
The atmosphere was electrifying!
At the blast of the final whistle, it became even more electrifying. Sky-blue jerseys and tops filled the arena. We screamed, jumped, hugged one another and celebrated as though we had just won the World Cup.
What a day!
What a moment!
To tell the truth, I had been afraid we would disappoint everyone. To think that the jackometers had left their books to come and support us! It would have been unfair to them if we had lost.
More importantly, it would have been unfair to the entire team - the players, coaches, physiotherapist, media officer, team pastor, manager and those faithful supporters who followed us throughout the competition.
But how did we get that far?
Well, at this point, let me give credit where credit is due and give props to you-know-who.
THE TEAM
1. Babatunde Adegoke (GK)
Great goalkeeper, although very playful, or should I just say unserious?
He was between the sticks for our first game and, if I remember correctly, one other match. He missed a couple of training sessions, but whenever he was available, he contributed his part to our success.
2. Jamiu Ajao (GK)
Our first-choice goalkeeper.
Jamiu made so many important saves throughout the tournament, particularly in the matches against PMT and MEE. He kept clean sheets in every game he played and, by merit, I would have named him goalkeeper of the tournament.
3. Abiodun Obanla (LB/RB)
Obanla started at left-back in the first game and made several vital interceptions. He left many of us wondering how a politician could play football so well.
His political assignments meant that he missed several training sessions and could only feature in about two games, but whenever he played, his contribution was obvious.
4. James Azibolanari Ben (RB)
Solid in defence.
James did very well whenever he was called upon, particularly at right-back. Reliable, strong and difficult to get past.
He is a rock!
5. Opeoluwa Dada (RB/CB)
Tall and very good in the air.
He started the tournament in central defence, but the coach later deployed him at right-back. Unfortunately, injury prevented him from featuring in several matches.
His overall performance was good, except perhaps against MEE, when he kept slipping and nearly cost us a few times. He was eventually substituted and did not feature in the final.
6. Victor Akinsumade (RB)
He featured in only three matches - the final three games of the tournament, but his arrival strengthened the team considerably.
He showed us that he was truly a professional.
I particularly remember the match against MEE, when the head coach moved him into central midfield specifically to disrupt their attacking flow. He did an excellent job of limiting one of MEE’s key players.
He was very important to our success.
7. Festus Dare (LB)
Festus joined training late.
A natural midfielder, he sacrificed his preferred position and operated on the left side of defence throughout the tournament. He became a perfect replacement for Obanla.
His forward runs to support Abbey Lincoln were massive for the team. He was strong, quick and confident on the ball.
At the time, I thought Manchester United might finally have found the long-awaited replacement for Patrice Evra.
8. David Onwe (CB)
I hope I have the right words to describe him.
He was simply fantastic!
David was always early to training. He was there for us throughout the tournament and played every minute of every game.
Forgive me if I say this, but I genuinely believe we could not have won the tournament without him.
9. Damola Fafure (CB)
Nickname: Shizzule.
Before the tournament, most people knew him mainly as the fine boy if you know what I mean - and the graphics designer behind Shizzule Graphics House (SGH), one of the most popular graphics brands in the University.
I remember our opponents laughing when they saw him lining up in defence:
“He think sey na handbill we dey design for here?”
Well, he proved them wrong.
Shizzule was solid.
I still remember one particular moment against PMT: the ball had already gone behind him, a striker was charging forward, and somehow he produced a back-flip clearance.
World class!
Everyone was disappointed when the team physiotherapist declared him unfit for the final because of an ankle injury.
In the end, we won it for him too.
10. Femi Adeloye (DMF)
He wasn’t just about that infectious laughter.
Femi was our strength in the middle of the pitch. He even had a goal to his credit - a beautifully taken strike from outside the 18-yard box.
Except for the match against Computer Science, when he was rested, he played virtually every other minute of the tournament.
Salsa, as he is fondly called because of his amazing drumming talent, was simply too hot for opponents to handle.
His midfield partnership with our captain, Olutoba Jetawo, was made in heaven.
11. Tolulope Richard
Tolulope attended a couple of training sessions but did not feature in any competitive match.
A good defender, certainly, but unfortunately he was not in the coach’s plans for the tournament.
That is football.
12. Olutoba Jetawo (CMF/DMF)
Captain Fantastic!
Team captain, leader, project mate and good friend.
I had known Toba since our first year in the University. He was an accurate passer of the ball and his overall performance in the tournament was fantastic.
He also had a couple of goals to his credit, including the winner against CSP in the quarter-final.
Later in the tournament, fatigue appeared to catch up with him, and for perhaps the first time the coach had to pull him out of a game. He never quite returned to his earlier peak afterwards.
Still, his leadership and contribution to the team cannot be overstated.
13. Stephen Oladipo (LWF/RWF)
Sobriquet: Yungstar.
Love this guy. #no_homo
His commitment was top-notch.
I kept saying to myself, “Yungstar mustn’t be let down.”
He was almost always the first person to report for training. Even when his project supervisor was giving him problems, somehow he still made it.
A talented and well-known singer on campus, he proved that he wasn’t all about the music after all.
He operated on both flanks and, although he rarely played entire matches, he often made an impact whenever he was introduced.
His commitment eventually earned him a place in the starting team.
14. Michael Balogun (RWF)
Not tall, but dangerous with the ball.
Michael started the tournament strongly and showed a lot of commitment, but injuries kept him out of several matches.
Then, just before the final, he regained full fitness.
He performed so well in our final training session that he earned a starting shirt in the final. Unfortunately, he struggled to connect with the aerial balls and became isolated from the frontline, so he was eventually replaced by Gbenga Ogunwo (PAGO).
15. Gbenga Ogunwo (RWF/CF)
To many of the supporters, PAGO was the man of the match in the final.
He replaced Michael late in the game and immediately ran the Architecture defence ragged. His pace was simply too much for them.
Afterwards, many people questioned why we had not started him.
Great player, I must say.
But I had already seen it during training.
He could play either as a striker or as a right-wing forward and was always capable of causing problems.
16. Abbey Lincoln (LWF)
Lanky forward.
Abbey played virtually every game, although not always for the full 90 minutes.
Coach Ebuka particularly saw something in him that many people probably did not notice initially. Abbey followed instructions extremely well, was quick on the ball and was an excellent marker of opponents.
Every team needs players who are willing to do exactly what the system requires.
Abbey was one of ours.
17. Adeolu Batisan (SS)
Perhaps I should spell his name as BATISAN.
Wow!
What - a - guy!
Good with both feet. Humble. Disciplined. Committed.
And honestly, I still struggle to find the right words.
I interrupted his reading session of Atomic Spectroscopy (PHY 518) to invite him to join the team.
That decision turned out rather well.
He was simply too good.
How could we have won the tournament without him?
His partnership with Wilson and Bidemi was out of this world.
18. Wilson Arege (AMF/CF)
Tall, strong and very good on the ball.
Nobody does it better.
Wilson was excellent in the air. He was not necessarily our most prolific goalscorer, but he was always a threat to opposing defenders.
That probably explains the kick he received on his chest during our second-round match against PMT. He eventually had to be substituted. It seemed the opponents had decided that the easiest way to stop him was simply to get him off the pitch.
Credit must go to the coach for playing him upfront. Wilson was naturally a midfielder, so the decision to use him as a striker was questioned initially.
By the end of the tournament, everyone understood why.
19. Abidemi Usman Adeagbo (CF)
“Bidex, I’m watching you!”
Those were my frequent words to him.
Off the pitch, his attitude towards training could drive you crazy. I warned him several times that there was no automatic shirt for anybody.
On the pitch, however, Bidemi was different.
Brilliant.
I think he played only one full match throughout the tournament, yet he was unquestionably our best striker.
Injuries troubled him repeatedly, but even that could not stop him from becoming the tournament’s highest goalscorer with six goals. He scored in every group game.
Then came the final.
He entered the match carrying an injury. Under normal circumstances, perhaps we should not have risked him. But we trusted his ability, and we knew what he could do in front of goal.
So we took the chance.
And he did it!
That goal.
Yes, that goal.
The goal that crowned us champions came from his boot!
THE COACH
When the tournament was announced, only a few people showed genuine interest.
Understandably so.
Playing football or, more accurately, winning football matches had never really been our thing.
Right from first year, things had rarely gone well. Crashing out in the opening round had practically become our modus operandi.
Then came Ebuka Gerard Paschal Nwadike.
He made the difference.
Ebuka started the campaign by gingering the guys and constantly assuring everyone that we could actually win if we approached the tournament with focus, unity and determination.
Need I tell you that Ebuka is someone who detests failure in whatever quarter?
A first-class by all standards; failure has never really been his thing.
I knew that already, so I did not hesitate to become his assistant and be part of what he was trying to build.
One moment particularly stands out.
After our victory against PMT in the round of 16, complacency began creeping into the team. People were becoming too relaxed.
Ebuka called everyone together and gave a speech that brought us back to our senses.
I cannot reproduce it word for word now, but the message was something like this:
“There are certain things that can stop a man from achieving his dreams. Everyone needs to know his weakness. If yours is women, check it. If it is alcohol, reduce it. And if someone is advising you and you refuse to listen, you are only harming yourself. The problem with most of us is that we are proud.”
Then he warned us:
“If we are not careful, we will lose against CSP. We have to change our mentality and stop underrating anybody.”
He reminded us how terrible we had felt after losing our first game of the tournament against AEE.
As things turned out, the match against CSP was extremely difficult. Had we gone into it with the arrogance we had begun to develop, we might easily have lost.
I cannot reproduce everything he said that day, but there was enough eloquence and seriousness in his voice for even a moron to get the hint.
THE MANAGER
Paul Anibaba
Paul started the whole thing.
He bought the form, followed up on the schedules and remained involved throughout the competition. He attended some of our training sessions and had, in many ways, been part of building the team since our first year.
Up Pepsi!
THE TEAM MEDIA OFFICER
Godwin Otah
Godwin did an excellent job of ensuring that nobody was left in oblivion about what was happening with the team.
His social-media posts kept everyone informed and made even those who could not attend the games feel connected to the campaign.
THE TEAM PHYSIOTHERAPIST
Edidiong Ekpe
Edidiong did very well for himself and for the team.
He was available throughout the tournament, attending to injuries and helping ensure that the players remained in the best possible condition to compete.
THE TEAM PASTOR
Victor Oviangbede
Victor was there throughout, in body and in Spirit.
You could see the passion on his face during every match.
And, yes:
His prayers did it.
THE FAITHFUL SUPPORTERS
No account of this tournament would be complete without remembering those who stood behind us.
Oyinkansola Onipede
She was always there.
I particularly remember the final, when she turned up in a yellow Arsenal away jersey.
Ranti Bademosi
Like Oyin, she was constantly around the team.
I remember one occasion when she even provided glucose for the players.
Great personality.
Dina
He attended many of our training sessions and matches, always ready to cheer the boys on.
Olusola Ewaregbemi (Painthinkin)
A devoted supporter.
I remember how much shouting he did during matches.
At various moments, he was the coach, the player, the referee...
He was everything.
Johnson Gbenga
He made himself available on many occasions, both during training and at matches.
Omoboyeje Oyesanmi
A great tutor who still found time to support us despite his commitments at RCF.
He even joined one of our training sessions and, to be fair, did quite well.
Kehinde Bankole
What a passionate guy.
A great supporter throughout the tournament.
Samson Ikunika
He believed strongly in the team and fondly referred to Ebuka as Mourinho.
At the time, perhaps the comparison did not seem so far-fetched.
Samuel Obadero
Great class representative.
Samuel covered for us academically and helped ensure that our football adventures did not put us permanently in Dr. E. O. Ogolo’s bad books.
He also attended virtually every game.
And, of course, Dr. Oluyamo is certainly not forgotten. He came out to support us in the final.
WHAT THE TOURNAMENT TAUGHT ME
In the end, the tournament taught me much more than football.
It confirmed something I have continued to believe: people can accomplish things that once appeared impossible when they combine humility, hard work, focus, dedication, determination and unity.
We were not favourites.
Our history gave nobody any reason to make us favourites.
But we trained, probably more than any other team. We listened to one another. People sacrificed preferred positions for the team. Injured players gave what they could. Those who did not play still contributed. Friends left their books to support us. Others prayed, treated injuries, shared information and covered for us academically.
Everybody played a part.
And, of course, by the grace of God, we made it.
Years later, some details may have become hazy, but the feeling remains.
We took what was supposed to be just another tournament in our final year and turned it into one of those memories that refuses to disappear.
I hope wherever everyone is today, we are still carrying some of those qualities with us: humility, hard work, focus, dedication, determination and unity.
And if we have forgotten them somewhere along the way, perhaps this is a good time to remember.
I miss everyone.
See you at the top.




Coach ma lo sky of life... The shizzle part got me laughing 😂those guys were surprised he made the team... bidex😕never serious wonderful striker😆. I remembered screaming so loud that day that a particular architecture guy picked on me😊. Sweet memory... Thank u Jeff for bringing us back into the consciousness of this memories 👊and your write up is incredible.....
ReplyDeleteThanks Lucy. Talk true, Bidex no lazy? Lol
DeleteSeriously, you and your bestie really amazed me. To think that guys who love football didn't even show up.
It wasn't only in the football thing. You always wanted the best for the set in all things. That was so evident.
Too bad I didn't really get to know you
Wow! Ds is sooooo beautiful! Kudos @Jeph! What a great klass! I missed everybody and twas so funny how we all came together in final year! We will all meet @the top! No one will be left behind in Jesus name! BTW, u didn't recognise me in your speech o, I rem I witnessed the final tournament...I go vex o...lols!
ReplyDelete"No one will be left behind in Jesus name!"
DeleteI say Amen to that.
E ma binu. I sincerely regret the omission. i was trying to rush up so I could meet up with the deadline. It had to be published on 14th and I couldn't acknowledge everyone.
You'll always be my sweetheart and you know it
sweet memories....I will always live to remember those days , I was surprise when we all came together in our final year, how I wish we had started that way.
ReplyDeleteAm also very grateful to my powerful coach and his assistant for giving me that golden opportunity to prove myself.
"we will all meet at the top, because that's our spot''
That's our spot, no doubt. You did quite well for yourself.
DeleteThe end justifies the means. It's good we ended that way.
I couldn't control my emotions when I was going through this phenomenal write-up..Well written my oga.but.one thing is lacking, u failed to mention one of the greatest influence to our success which is the every humble,intelligent and amazing jeph..we couldn't have done it.without u.u were the quiet voice controlling the team..hell,most strategies and formations we used were urs.I m so honored to have worked with u and hopefully in the future we would accomplish many more.
ReplyDeleteI can't forget my ever amazing players and supporters..we did It!!!let dis win always come to ur mind whenever u doubt urself.. Doubt is an enemy of success. You are d best of ur kind. GO PHYSICISTS!!
I couldn't control my emotions when I was going through this phenomenal write-up..Well written my oga.but.one thing is lacking, u failed to mention one of the greatest influence to our success which is the every humble,intelligent and amazing jeph..we couldn't have done it.without u.u were the quiet voice controlling the team..hell,most strategies and formations we used were urs.I m so honored to have worked with u and hopefully in the future we would accomplish many more.
ReplyDeleteI can't forget my ever amazing players and supporters..we did It!!!let dis win always come to ur mind whenever u doubt urself.. Doubt is an enemy of success. You are d best of ur kind. GO PHYSICISTS!!
Wise words coming in again... See what I've been missing for so many months.
Delete